NEWEC members, a cooperation structure formed of five European associations of end users of automation technologies, met in Pisa on 12 September 2019
Board Members and directors of European user associations of automation technology in process industries – NAMUR (D), EVALUATION INTERNATIONAL (UK), WIB (NL), EXERA (F), CLUI AS (I) – met in Pisa last September for the annual steering committee of NEWEC, a cooperation agreement formed in November 2014.
NEWEC includes more than 300 companies, for which the adoption of advanced technologies for automation, instrumentation and monitoring is of paramount importance to manage plants in a safe, efficient and sustainable way.
After an updating on internal activity of associations (boards, training courses, meeting with associates), different subject of interest have been discussed, with special focus on prospective in the Industry4.0 scenario. Among the, achievement have been discussed about:
- Cybersecurity: comparison of different commercial product for defense from attacks and progress of a project to give guidelines to users.
- Maintenance in operational condition: criteria and guidelines to evaluate the status of different components of automation systems and guidelines for actions.
- System architectures: NOA (Namur Open Architecture): general architecture which allows to integrate control and monitoring systems, with different communication standards.
- Asset Life Cycle Data Management - Integrated Engineering: Large potential benefits come from the possibility of digitalization and full integration of the process from raw material to product; proposed a reference standard.
- Automation Security Management in the Process Industry: guidelines and standard proposed for the management of this important topics.
- Cloud-Based Monitoring: large advantages (saving of resources and competence, increase of computational power) and open challenges (cyber-security, reliability of proposed technologies), with reference to a recent achievement.
- Smart Instruments: guidelines to classify and standardize automation products containing commercial software.
To conclude, proposals have been studied to improve interaction with IFAC (International Federation of Automatic Control), cooperation among companies of different associations on projects of common interest and to make the brand NEWEC more known by means of sponsor and organization of events.
For further details contact:
For further information on NEWEC members, please visit: